100 Day Project Day 1
It’s day 1 of the 100 Day Project! I also returned to Instagram today, so that’s exciting. In addition to the morning scribble, I did some work repurposing / upcycling an old basket into a planter (upcycling or repurposing something every day is the second thing I’m doing for The 100 Day Project, and blogging is the third).
So let’s get into it.
Last summer the antique/variety store next to me closed and when they left there was SO MUCH STUFF just left outside to be thrown away. Really… the stuff I was able to recover from that event is insane and will surely be a significant basis of my DIY projects for months to come.
So what I decided to work on first is a little basket that is pretty dirty and stained but is still cute. I want to repurpose it into a planter.
Today I sealed the wood on the bottom of it so that it wouldn’t rot from the plant draining. I’m going to coat it a couple more times over the course of the day and then let it dry over night so that I can get to work on the next step tomorrow.
And here are some WIP pics :)
Using an old bristle brush to knock off the dirt on the inside
Using an old jell-o container for some Mod Podge sealant. The Mod Podge that I’m using is the furniture sealer, glue & finish in Matte.
Instead of using those little sponge applicators or a brush, I just use newspaper scraps. It’s readily available and I can just throw it away at the end. To use newspaper scraps as an applicator, just fold it up, dip it, and smooth it on.
When the newspaper brush is too saturated and starts to tear , I just make a new one. No sweat.
Now I’ll just add a couple more coats over the next few hours and then let it dry overnight.
And I’ll pick it back up tomorrow!