100 Day Project Day 2
Let’s get into it…
There are these big staple things holding the handle onto the basket, and a few smaller staples. The wood is splitting around them and I tried prying them off with pliers but they’re pretty difficult to deal with and it was one of those things that as I was doing it I was thinking “this feels dangerous, maybe I should stop” then promptly pinched the fuck out of myself when the pliers slipped.
So I decided instead to just go at it with a little handsaw. Plus, leaving the wood pieces on the sides where they are might add some support. Either way, I’m not trying to pinch myself again.
Next, I sanded down all of the rough edges so that I can stop getting splinters from this thing.
Next, I used newspaper to make a rough pattern for the lining. I just folded it to fit and then taped it into place. It was all very scientific. And yes, I have a calculator watch.
For the lining I used this metallic tablecloth I’ve had forever. It’s so extra and I’ve been trying to figure out what to use it for. I think it might look nice showing through the holes in the side of the basket. I mean, if the lining is going to be showing then it might as well be metallic anyway, right?
It’s supposed to be gold on one side and silver on the other, but it turned out not to be quite as gold as I like which tbh left me feeling really betrayed and lied to. Personal distress aside though, I think it can work.
I just laid the newspaper pattern on top of it and cut. A couple of the sides were shorter than I needed, so I just cut extra. It will be trimmed back anyway so it doesn’t have to be exact. I notated the second picture with pink to make it more clear where I made the cut.
Next I made some diagonal cuts. The second picture is notated in pink to make the cuts more clear.
At this point this thing is pretty big and hard to manage, so I folded it up as neatly as possible to prep for putting it in the basket without having to fight with it too much.
Next, I coated the bottom of the basket with the Mod Podge furniture sealant and glue and gently put the pattern into it. This is where folding the pattern nicely pays off. Then one wall of the basket at a time I applied the Mod Podge and unfolded the sides of the pattern, gluing down the triangle “flaps” that were left as I go.
Next, I used more of the Mod Podge to seal up the corners tightly
Then I use a razor blade to trim the excess lining
Finally, I use a needle to poke a bunch of holes in the bottom of the lining for drainage.
Going to let stuff dry, and tomorrow we’ll be ready to put a plant in!