100 Day Project Day 6
*Update: This is part one of a two-part project. Read part two.
Day 6 of The 100 Day Project: Today has been such a struggle, energetically. But I like the project I started today so I’m excited to share it.
I mentioned yesterday that I’d be starting another upcycled planter project today, and that’s what I did. But instead of a basket or a vintage cup, I’m using a T-shirt and an empty Coffee Mate container to make a planter of the hanging variety.
What can I say? I’ve got a lot of plants that need homes right now.
So, today I started with an empty coffee mate container, an old t-shirt, fabric scissors, some straight pins, a needle and thread, a blue washout pencil, a ruler, and measuring tape.
First, I measured the circumference of the container. This is going to be our actual planter at the end, and the t-shirt is going to create a pouch for it to live in.
Notice that the tape measure is very loose. I want the pouch to be a bit baggy, plus it’s always better to have a bit too much fabric instead of too little. The actual circumference of the container was something like 17.25”, but I brought it up to 19”.
Next, I roughly measured the container from the center point of the bottom to the center point of the top. The pouch is going to gather at the bottom, then cuff down at the top, so by measuring it this way I’ll have plenty of room to do both comfortably. I’m calling it 12”
So, the piece of fabric I need to make the pouch will be 12” tall and 19” wide. I don’t have that much fabric in one piece from the shirt (it was a crop top once upon a time) so I’m instead going to cut two pieces that are 12” x 9.5” then sew the sides up to make what I need. To do this, I lay the shirt out flat (so it has two layers… the front and back of the shirt lying on top of each other) and then draw out a 12” x 9.5” rectangle on the wrong side of the top piece of fabric.
I use my hands to smooth out any wrinkles that may be hiding underneath the top layer, and then I pin the front and back of the shirt together up two sides to hold them firmly in place with one another.
Then I cut out the rectangle where I marked it earlier, keeping the two fabric pieces attached with the pins.
With the pins still in place, I use a ruler and a super fine micron pen to make small dots every 1/8” in a straight line across the open sides of fabric. These are going to be the sides of the pouch, while the parts with the pins in them are going to be the top and bottom.
Then, I just use a quick and dirty whip stitch to bind the two pieces on both sides, forming a tube. This isn’t a sturdy way of keeping pieces together, but the pouch I’m making is decorative and won’t actually be supporting any weight so it’ll do just fine here.
Next, I remove the straight pins from the top and bottom of the pouch and weave the thread in and out the whole way around the bottom of the “tube”, then tie it off to cinch it all together.
This is what it looks like turned right-side-out.
I’m going to have to finish this one up tomorrow. Hand-stitching has a way of becoming a time suck, and it did nothing for my pounding headache to be looking at such small stitches for all that time.
So far though, the headache is worth it because it’s looking so damn cute.