100 Day Project Day 13
*Update: Since this post, I’ve made an all-in-one post about removing ink, coloring, and making plarn. Read it here.
Day 13 of The 100 Day Project: today I experimented with removing ink from plastic bags! One of the things that makes plarn undesirable is the text, color, etc. that’s left when you cut it up. I did some digging and found a few different answers, with people reporting mixed results. So I decided to just do my own experiment and see for myself what worked best.
Going into it I really thought it would be pretty straightforward. One or more methods would work and that would be it and I’d move on. But in an unexpected twist, it actually turns out that each ink color responds differently.
So instead of harvesting plarn today in preparation for a larger project, I decided to explore the specifics of removing ink from plastic bags further and am going to put together a chart or something to put out there for quick reference.
Tomorrow I’ll do a more clear and comprehensive experiment and lay it out in my post, but since it wasn’t what I had set out to do today I don’t have the best documentation. Instead I’m just going to post the pictures that I do have :)
I tested four different removal methods today: bug spray (an old film student trick for removing the branding from bags), bleach, nail polish remover, and isopropyl alcohol.
Bug spray = blue
Bleach = pink
Nail polish remover = purple
Isopropyl alcohol = yellow
*Update: Target bags (and I assume red ink in general) are just kind of a nightmare. It’s not really worth the effort it takes to get the ink off of them in my opinion.